Positive Adventures hires Outdoor Education Facilitators to support our Fall and Spring Outdoor Education Seasons. Each Program is generally 3-5 days in length and take place in a variety of settings including residential camps, desert camping, coastal base camp programs, and back-country excursions. Students range in age from 5th to 12th grade and come from a large variety of diverse backgrounds.
Work Season Overview
March – May 2019 and August – November 2019
Staff Training (Idyllwild or Big Bear)
March 4-6, 2019
You must attend staff training prior to working with Positive Adventures Outdoor Education Team.
Popular Locations for Programs
Residential or Basecamp in Big Bear
Residential or Basecamp in Idyllwild
Residential on Catalina Island
Residential in Santa Barbara
Basecamp in Yosemite
Basecamp in Joshua Tree
Residential Surf Camp San Diego
Backcountry High Sierra (WFR Req.)
Backcountry Glen Canyon (WFR Req.)
Backcountry Havasupai (WFR Req.)
- Facilitate groups of 13-15 students through multi-activity OE curriculum in the residential camp and basecamp settings.
- Ability to facilitate team building initiatives, group games, ice breakers and warm up activities. Training provided. Prior experience is a plus.
- Manage the risk involved with OE programs including group management, activity specific risks and emotional and social boundaries.
- Manage belay stations effectively in both the ropes course and top-rope rock climbing site environments. Training provided. Prior experience is a plus.
- Lead groups through activity rotations such as: high ropes course, scrambling and hiking, environmental education hikes and lessons, low ropes team building. Night adaptation and astronomy. Training provided. Prior experience is a plus.
- Current First Aid/CPR
- WFR or WEMT preferred
- 2 years of experience working in the outdoor education field with youth.
- Proficient skills in the following: group facilitation, team-building initiatives and games, belaying, ropes courses, risk management, environmental education and interpretation, ecology and natural history.
- Excellent communication, leadership and teamwork skills.
- Proven ability to manage youth groups.
- Reliable mode of transportation (carpool options avail) and cell phone.
- Availability to attend one of our paid trainings.
- Ability to pass a background check/live scan.
Full time seasonal employment begins in August through the end of October. Part time staff will be required to work at least four programs during that time frame.
Positive Adventures is proud to compensate our facilitators at a highly competitive rate. We value your expertise, hard work, and dedication to our field. When working as a Field Facilitator on programs, compensation is arranged as follows:
Prep-Day(s) defined as the day(s) before the client arrives.
Field Day(s) defined as full day’s of facilitation.
Debrief Day: Typically a partial day client facing, plus cleanup/debrief hours.
Example: A three-day youth program from Wednesday-Friday, will include one additional prep-day, would be paid as follows:
Camp Chef Pay: Prep: $115; Program Days:$165; Debrief Day: $100 (3 day program $545)
Facilitator Pay: Prep: $115; Program Days:$200; Debrief Day: $100 (3 day program: $615)
Course Director Pay: Prep: $250; Program Days:$275; Debrief Day: $200 (3 day program $1,000)
Ropes Course Directors: Full day (6 hours) pay: $200; 1/2 day (3 hours) pay: $100 (must drive yourself to program)
Climb Guide SPI Directors: Full day (8 hours) pay: $250; 1/2 day (4 hours) pay: $175 (must drive yourself to program)
Annual bonuses are the only variation of pay based on seniority
WFR reimbursement and bonuses start at the beginning of a facilitator’s second year
In addition to the daily rate, staff accommodations and meals are provided. All Positive Adventures Field Staff will be enrolled to receive pro-deals. Staff returning for the following year are eligible for the Returning Staff Bonus and WFR Reimbursement Program.
Step 1: If you have an interest in a position at Positive Adventures, we would love to hear from you! Please fill out the following application. This will serve as an informal 1st interview.
Step 2: Once you have submitted the application, please send your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in Positive Adventures!
Success is a choice, choose Positive.